Perspectives on Snow

The first days of February brought plenty of snow to the Midwest. There was enough to close down State Farm Insurance (the major employer in our town of Bloomington-Normal) and keep us inside until we were able to dig our way out. Since Dean is from Michigan and Andrea is from the state of Washington, we had plenty of time to share our perspectives on frozen precipitation...

Dean:
I'm 6'8" tall. Where I'm from, that's a little tall, but not crazy. People are just taller. Not a big deal.
A foot and a half of snow. Where I'm from, that's some snow, but not crazy. It just snows more in Western Michigan. Not a big deal. That's why I couldn't figure out why people were making such a big deal about the snow that was inevitably coming to town.

Andrea: and by "couldn't figure out" Dean means, it was driving him crazy. I may or may not have told our coworkers to deliberately use the words "snomaggeddon" and "snowpocalypse" around Dean as much as possible.

Dean:
You forgot "Snowtorious B.I.G."People were Facebooking and Twittering the impending doom that was sure come upon all of us. It was getting on my nerves.


Andrea:
I don't blame you, but I grew up in one of those places. You know, those places where there's an inch of snow and they cancel school. One of those places. But I've lived in Montana, the Northeast and the Midwest for the last 7 years, so I know rationally that snow is a part of life in the winter. But still. There is something that makes me panic just a little bit when I hear about 20 inches of snow.

Dean:
As long as your panicking entails stocking the fridge with good cheese and interesting beer, I'm all in.

Net result of the storm thus far:
Office closed for 1.5 days
Stir-fried pork and asian greens for dinner
Season 1 of 30 Rock finished
1 loaf of banana bread
Homemade pizza dough rising
Lots of laundry
Fixed the neighbor's snowblower (Dean still finished our driveway by hand more quickly)
Rough itinerary of a March vacation to Mexico
and 1 really whiny but wussy dog

Bring on the wind chill warning!