Pastor as...

Our very first semester in seminary Dean, along with many of our new best friends, took a class called Pastor as Person. At the time, it seemed silly. Of course pastors are people.

Three years into pastoral ministry, we're learning how important it is for us to remember that we're people with basic needs for things like oh, say, sleep. Or time off. Or dinner with each other. Or a walk. Or time alone. Or time with friends. Some of these things we're really good at remembering. Some things we have to remind each other.

Like sometimes, I need to be reminded that I like to read. A lot. I was one of those kids who read in bed long after I was told to go to sleep. It might be the only rebellious thing I did as a child. It's one of the reasons I loved school, right on through seminary. In fact, seminary was the best! I got to read and read and read about God, about the church, about our mission to love the world, all this amazing stuff.

And then I actually became a pastor.

It used to be that Pastor as Scholar was a really important part of church life. The pastor was often the most educated person in the congregation and was expected to spend a lot of time reading and thinking. Now, especially at a large church, pastors have to put the minister in administer. And I'm good at that. I like details. I like planning big things and seeing them through.

But in the midst of all those details, I forget about reading.

So I've been working my way through N.T. Wright's Surprised by Hope. It's getting the Pastor as Scholar part of me energized in a way it hasn't been for a while. The book explores issues that I've really been struggling with in pastoral ministry about how we articulate the basic hope of the Gospel and what it means for our life right here and now. In particular, what it means to articulate our belief in God's ultimate redemption of the world, rather than only the salvation of our souls.

The thing about getting excited about reading, is that it breeds more excitement. So now I'm thrilled about diving into Calvinism in the Las Vegas Airport with my intern and I'm looking at that leadership book on my desk and remembering that I loved the first chapter, so I bet I'd like the rest, too.

So, reading. I recommend it. At least for me, if I want to be a better Pastor as Person.