Almost a Musician

I've never described myself as a musician.  I mostly fell into music.

I have distinct memories of standing on the pew in church growing up and following along in the hymnal as my dad pointed out where we were in the hymn.  As a result, I've never actually learned how to formally read music. I only know notes based on what they look like and where they are on the staff (yes, I have enough knowledge to know what a staff is...but is that different from a clef?).

This is how I faked my way though Jr. High band. I played trombone and routinely achieved the coveted first chair placement. But I only got there because I knew which position corresponded to each note.

Gone are the days of trombone. However, it's been a year now since I started learning the guitar. I'm happy to report that I can play songs with basic chords with a bit of ease. And along the way I've been forced to learn just a little music theory. Not much. Just enough to be dangerous. I feel like more of a musician now. But not a full-on musician. I'm an "almost musician." And I feel more at home leading our church's contemporary worship band.

I like being a band leader who doesn't know much about music. I know what I like. I know what's in my head and how I want a song to sound, but I have to rely on others who know much more about music than me in order for everyone to sound good. If I didn't, the band would sound horrible. My guitar skills have absolutely helped me become a better band leader. But I prefer letting the musicians lead the way so this "almost musician" can lead from the middle of the group instead of being the sole front man.

I'm finding out the correlations that can be made here with pastoral ministry are numerous. I continue to take my leadership of contemporary worship into other areas of my ministry...learning a new skill, having a conviction of what a sermon should sound like, relying on others to make the whole church sound beautiful... more pastors should be band leaders, I think.