Saying Goodbye

Shortly after arriving at 2PC, I began advocating for a more substantial internship program. The church had a history of summer interns, but not year-round, full-time interns. Since a full-time yearlong internship was a HUGE part of my development in ministry, I wanted to "pay it forward" and offer the same experience to other young adults.

Our first year has been successful beyond my wildest expectations (isn't that just like God?). After a lackluster set of resumes, on a whim, I sent the job description to a family friend who was graduating from college last May. Megan applied. We interviewed her. And offered her the job.

She drove from Denver to Illinois, sight unseen, to make her home among the cornfields and do ministry with us for a year.

And boy am I grateful she took the risk. It's been an amazing year and such a gift to have an old, old friend here in Bloomington with me. I can't believe it's almost over, but next week after VBS Megan will pack up and head back to Colorado. She's trading the plains for the mountains and of course, I'm a little jealous, but more than anything I'm excited. Excited to see what God does with Megan, where he uses her, and how she will bless the world.

And I'm excited for us! Next week we welcome our NEW intern and I know he'll bring an entirely unique set of gifts to ministry and another chance for me to give back a little bit of what was so abundantly given to me in opportunities, mentoring and encouragement.

Megan, thanks for all the adventures! We'll miss you.

...and since I can't turn down any opportunity to mention this story, here I am with Megan after a long and hilarious day of driving to Springfield with no AC (90 degrees!) to get this sweet boat that we'll use for the VBS set.